Last year, I set a goal that seemed totally reasonable at the time. And then I committed myself by telling people. And then—as you well know, I went AWOL. Blogging once a week during the school year was totally manageable, but it turned out to be more than I could handle once school let out for the summer.
So here’s what I did instead:
- Took the kids to Detroit while Jared went to Brazil
- Sneaked in a trip to VA beach with my college besties. It was wonderful. Wonderful! Hadn’t seen these dear friends for 7 years.
- Celebrated my parents’ 50th with a trip to Gatlinburg
All four of us kids shared memories of our upbringing and words of gratitude for our parents’ faithfulness. Jared videoed my portion:
- Got to host our overseas family
- Took our annual Compton family trip to Florida:
- Wrote and taught a Bible study through the letter of I John. After my time in the letter, I tried to come up with a one-sentence summary of what the letter teaches. It’s a stretch to call in one sentence, but here’s what I got: God is light and love; As the Father is, so the children are.
- During that time, Jared coached the boys’s soccer team
- I played the supportive wife while Jared’s second book went to press and he began his third. Information forthcoming…
- Then came Thanksgiving. And with it the Marines!
- Followed by Christmas
- And finally, our church commissioned our Gospel Community to fulfill the covenant we signed together late January.
I hope to be back in action in this new year, though it won’t be every week. The Lord is stirring much in my heart—most recently through my interaction with the account of Hagar from Genesis 16 and 21 as I prepared to share with the dear women at CrossWay’s Widows’ Brunch. I am looking forward to writing what God has been teaching me through His Word. Thank you for supporting me with your readership!